Friday, September 17, 2010

Pink Atomica: My Journey into Electric Hair

I'm no stranger to dying my hair. When I was in middle school I started off subtly with blonde or cyan tips, then I worked my way to maroon and black. When I was in high school I was primarily a natural brunette, but opted for some copper and blonde streaks towards the end. My first two years of college had me start experimenting with my whole head including dying everything black (which looked more like a muddy mess) and becoming a complete redhead. I've spent this last year as a blonde. But now I have finally done it, I have finally finished my quest for the holy grail--I have pink hair!



While Amanda and I were in the process of dying my head our group got into a heated discussion about whether or not something like hair can define who you are as a person. I mostly agree, but I also agree that there is some silliness to that statement. Of course hair can't really define you, not the inside you that really counts. But hair is just like clothing or body art of piercings-- they are ways of expressing yourself so that people can get an idea of who you are at a glance. It's sort of like judging a book by its cover or stereotyping, but the reality is when you're walking past a crowd of people the ones with similar clothing or tattoos as you are the ones you're going to want to befriend first.


So why did I choose pink hair and what about myself is it expressing so eagerly? Simple: I want to be noticed. It's not like I want all the attention in the world, but I don't want to fade into the background either. It's my way of saying "look, I'm here, and you can't ignore me." People in my small town will remember me when they see me on my walks with Renard. My professors will definitely learn my name on the first day and people will want to get to know me simply to ask about why my hair is pink. It's like the ultimate conversation starter and ender. My head is pink, now you know, and now you want to know me.


We all do outrageous things from time to time so that we can gain some attention whether it be acting on a dumb dare, dressing garishly or being loud. We all crave the limelight, but for this year I'm focused on the pinklight!

Au Revoir,

Labels: , , , , ,

Posted by pi-e @ 3:52 PM

Read or

Post a Comment

you ROCK THAT PINK, bro!!

Posted by Blogger momo @ September 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM #
 
<< Home