Saturday, September 18, 2010

Recette Prête: creole bean soup with chicken


I swear I just cannot stop cooking! We had a bit of a cold streak here in Ashland so I decided a nice soup or stew would be fantastic to keep Renard, Chevalier and I warm. I also happened to be watching The Princess and the Frog, so I felt especially inclined to make a N'awleans styled soup dish. I poked around in my fridge and cupboards and realized I had everything I needed for a Creole style bean soup with Cajun chicken!


Ok, here's a list of ingredients you're going to need for this recipe (mind you I'm estimating, I never really measure stuff out on my own and tend to cook by taste):

  • 1 16oz bag of dried assorted beans
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup diced onions
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 cups diced carrots
  • 3 small jalapenos, blended with water
  • 2 large chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (or 1/2 cup ketchup)
  • 3 tbsp Tabasco or Crystal's hot sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste

First things first, you've got to prepare the beans! Wash the beans and then fill a large pot with 5 cups of chicken broth (water will work for lower sodium) and begin boiling the beans. Leave them boiling at a medium temperature for about an hour and stir occasionally to prevent sticking.


While the beans are cooking you should begin prep work on your produce. Finely dice the onions, carrots and potatoes and set them aside. Seed 3 small jalapenos and put them in a blender with about 2 tbsp water and blend until you have a mushy consistency. Dice your chicken into bite sized cubes and prepare to pan cook.


Cook the chicken in 2 tbsp olive oil on high heat for 5-7 minutes stirring constantly. While the chicken is cooking add 1 tbsp hot sauce and some salt and pepper to taste. Once chicken is done set aside.


Hopefully your beans are beginning to soften and the amount of liquid in the pot has been reduced. Now add your onions, carrots and potatoes and let cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes. Once the produce has softened go ahead and add the remaining ingredients and stir. If you don't have canned tomatoes add about 1/2 cup ketchup to give the soup it's sweet and tangy flavor.


I garnished my soup with some finely chopped green onions and a splash of cream (my original recipe was much spicier than this, and the cream helps cut back the burn). This soup is great with crackers or buttered bread. I hope you enjoy it, and if you have any comments or suggestions feel free to let me know!

Au Revoir,

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Posted by pi-e @ 6:39 PM

Read or

Post a Comment

aguhh food ;o; that cheese on top of the soup looks so good it hurts!!!! ahhhh *nomnoms your blog*

Posted by Blogger Studio Cutecake @ September 21, 2010 at 1:10 AM #
 
<< Home